Da Gullah Museum Presents a Hilton Head Island Back In The Day Through The Eyes of The Gullah Elders MOVIE
The movie will premier June 4 – June 10th showing 7:00 pm nightly at Coligny Plaza Hilton Head Downtown location on North Forest Beach Dr.
Purchase your tickets today at gullahmuseumhhi.org for the opening night Monday, June 4th red carpet event only to meet the Gullah elders in the film (Dr. Louise Miller Cohen, Mr. Tom Barnwell and Dr. Emory Campbell (TBA) from 6:00 pm to 6:45 pm. At 6:45 pm we will have a brief panel discussion by the elders.
We be serving up some shrimp and grits, giving you a taste of Gullah cuisine and a Cash Bar. Limited tickets for opening night June 4th and can only be purchase from the Gullah Museum website.
Then immediately following the movie, we ask that you going us for a after the movie panel discussion part 2 and networking affair at FISH (located next door to the theater). Again patrons will be able to purchase food and drinks.
Admission price online is $8.00, otherwise it will be $7.00 to purchase tickets at the box office after June 4th. Tickets will be available ON SALE via the website on Tuesday, May 29th. Call 888-981-7469 or 843-681-3254 for more information.
See you at the movie in Hilton Head June 4th – June 10th this is a historically Gullah Movie you don’t want to miss.
Here’s the link to the trailer for “Hilton Head Island Back in the Day”
Louise Miller Cohen Honored By Being Included In The 2018 South Carolina African American History Calendar
We are proud to announce that Louise Miller Cohen and 11 other notable South Carolina citizens were honored by being featured in the 2018 South Carolina African American History Calendar.
The 12 honorees were:
* J. Arthur Brown - Civil Rights Statesman and Community Activist
* Maude E. Callen - Nurse-Midwife and Volunteer
* Louise Miller Cohen - Historian and Preservationist
* Mabel James Dickey - Historic Preservationist and Social Worker
* Percival Everett - Novelist, Painter and Educator
* James L. Felder - Activist, Legislator and Educator
* Nathaniel J. Frederick - Attorney and Activist
* Burnett W. Gallman, Jr. - Physician and Community Leader
* Richard T. Greener - Professor and Attorney
* Barbara Williams Jenkins - Historian and Preservationist
* James L. Moore III - Educator and Counselor
* Elaine Nichols - Historian and Curator
We are pleased to announce that on April 7, 2017, Louise Cohen of The Gullah Museum of Hilton Head Island will receive "The 2017 Community Service Award" from the National Civil Rights Library.
The award will be given at their 30th Anniversary MLK Dinner in Chicago, Illinois. The venue will be the Charles A. Hayes Center, 4859 South Wabash Ave., Chicago, IL, 7:00pm. They encourage Hilton Head residents to travel to Chicago to support Ms. Cohen as she receives this honor.